Tuesday to Sunday* 09:00 to 12:00- 14:00 to 18:00
550 route d'Eecke 59114 Terdeghem - France
+33 (0)3 28 48 16 10

History Archives - Steenmeulen

09 Apr
steenmeulen-date-construction-1964-demey

1864

The present stone mill (“Steen Meulen” in Flemish), otherwise known as the mill of St Arnould (patron saint of brewers), was built in place of a pivot mill, which had been blown away by the particularly strong winds at this location.

Read More
09 Apr

1938

Mr. Michel Markey, a descendant of a milling family (fourth generation), took over the mill in a very sad state. Restorations were undertaken with the means of the time: the new wings were assembled with the force of arms and horses.

Read More
09 Apr

1938-1979

Over the years, Michel Markey, an inventive and experienced miller, made many improvements that were ahead of their time. The Steenmeulen is thus the only mill in France equipped with a safety device that prevents the mechanism from turning upside down!

Read More
09 Apr

1980

The wings break. With the help of his son Joseph, a specialist in mechanical engineering, Michel Markey reinstalled new wings. The latter are built identically while benefiting from the most modern manufacturing techniques. It is said that since then “the Steenmeulen turns at the slightest zephyr”!

Read More
09 Apr

2000

Joseph Markey, on his retirement, took over and kept the mill going. Passionate about technology, he developed the site to open it to the public. In the 2000s, the Museum of Flemish Rural Life (Marcel Leupe’s collection), the Museum of Agricultural Machinery and Energy were successively established.

Read More
09 Apr

2007-2008

In 2007, the mill was restored to its original potential with the re-installation of oil millstones on the ground floor. In addition to the three pairs of grain millstones, the mill can now drive the pair of oil millstones. In 2008, an oil press (donated by mill carpenter Eric Vanleene) completed the oil installation.

Read More
09 Apr

2009

The building at the foot of the mill collapses. A complete restoration is necessary! This allowed the installation of a heavy fuel engine, identical to the one used before Michel Markey’s arrival in 1938. This engine drove the mill mechanism, replacing the broken wings.

Read More
09 Apr

2010-2011

Since 2010, the site has been home to a flour mill from the Thybaut factory in Fretin. Since 2011, a didactic installation has been used to understand how these “modern” machines work.

Read More
09 Apr

2014

In 2014, Joseph Markey reconstructed his parents’ home as it was when they arrived. This is in the small house at the foot of the mill where his parents actually lived until the end of the 1990s.

Read More
09 Apr

2017

The miller has been working all summer on the construction of a reproduction of a Persian mill, the ancestor of windmills, and intends to show his visitors how this ingenious ancestor worked!

Read More
Logo

About us

Joseph and Véra Markey take you on a passionate tour of their heritage from the past: a brick windmill that still turns and produces flour & a museum of Flemish rural life at the beginning of the 20th century. More than just a guided tour, the owners offer you a moment of transmission!

Visit Fees

Contact us